Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Easy Bake


See the adorable smile on this little girls face?  The sense of wonder as she slips a real cake out of her toy oven.  This is how I've felt all morning.  Half way in wonder that something can be so easy and the other half feeling exactly the way I felt, I won't say how many years ago, when I used my easy bake oven.


Clock wise from the top: Chocolate cake, Cinnamon Cake, Swirl Cake, New Orleans Cake, Yellow Cake, Lemon Cake

I discovered microwave mug cakes about a week ago.  I'm a little behind the rest of the world, I'm sure, as I just joined Pinterest about a month or two ago.  But these might be one of the most wonderful things I've discovered--because it's like a mini fountain of youth and I feel like a kid again, a little bit of magic is going on here!

I wish my niece and nephew lived nearer so I could invite them over and we could make these little cakes together and then sit cross legged in the floor and gobble them up!  They would be perfect for a slumber party!

Directions

In each of these recipes combine the ingredients in a coffee mug and stir the ingredients together with a fork until smooth.  Microwave for 1 minute.

Chocolate Cake

  • 2 TB flour
  • 2 TB chocolate powder
  • 2 TB sugar
  • 2 TB milk
  • 1 TB oil
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder

Cinnamon Cake

  • 2 TB flour
  • 2 TB brown sugar
  • 2 TB milk
  • 1 TB oil
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Swirl Cake

  • 3 TB flour
  • 3 TB sugar
  • 2 TB milk
  • 1 TB oil
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 TB chocolate syrup--swirled in at the end.

New Orleans Cake

  • 2 TB flour
  • 2 TB chocolate powder
  • 2 TB sugar
  • 2 TB milk
  • 1 TB oil
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves

Yellow Cake

  • 3 TB flour
  • 3 TB sugar
  • 2 TB milk
  • 1 TB oil
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  Lemon Cake


  • 3 TB flour
  • 3 TB sugar
  • 2 TB milk
  • 1 TB oil
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
PRINT


Next I want to experiment with Nutella, and chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips and . . .  a bigger mug with a scoop of ice cream and chocolate syrup on top.

Way more ideas at Pinterest.

This might be like an alcoholic living next door to a liquor store.

I'm pretty sure this is the one that Jes and I had.





3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing these recipes, I have not tried this yet-I would have to come up with a gluten free version for me-but what a fun idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a bunch on pinterest, Kathy. http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=gluten+free+mug+cakes

      Delete
  2. I tried making them in the camper a couple years ago - of course that microwave is different than the one at home and it several attempts to get the timing right.

    ReplyDelete