- 4 slices ham cut 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- Trim the excess fat from the ham slices and cut it into small bits.
- Place fat in a frying pan and fry over medium heat until the bits are crisp and have rendered all their fat.
- Discard the bits of fat.
- Fry the ham in the rendered fat, turning the slices so they color evenly.
- Transfer the fried ham to a warmed platter and pour the coffee into the skillet.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, meanwhile scraping in the brown bits.
- Boil briskly, uncovered, until the gravy turns red and then pour it over the ham and serve at once.