You might remember a week or so back that I made a pork loin roasted with fennel bulbs. I tossed the stalks and other unused trimmings into a ziploc bag for later use. It seemed a shame to throw away so much flavor.
- Left over fennel stalks and trimmings from 4 fennel bulbs (about a pound)
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 allspice berry
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp butter
- 4 cups cold water.
- Roughly chop the fennel.
- Place all ingredients in a stock pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until liquid has reduced to half.
- Strain and throw away solids.
- Refigerate for 5 days or freeze up to 2 months.