Wednesday, October 15, 2014
This week is a week that deserved some comfort food! So this post is for all my Sanborn relatives who love this Mac N' Cheese and for all my Marlow relatives who could use some comfort.
This is my Mother-in-Law's ultra simple, ultra yummy homemade mac'n cheese recipe. When she showed me how to make it I really couldn't believe how basic it was. She is requested to make this for every family event from the 4th of July to Thanksgiving. And to be fair, she got it from her Mother, so I guess I should say this is my Grandmother-in-Law's recipe. This recipe may go back to when my Mother-in-Law wore hot pants.
- 12 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 LB cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 can evaporated milk
- paprika, salt, and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Layer the macaroni and the cheese in about three layers, in a 9 x 12 inch casserole.
- Pour condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- If it starts to get to crispy on top cover with foil.
Sunday, October 12, 2014
- 2 garlic cloves
- kosher salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and White Pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
For Deviled Eggs
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Paprika to sprinkle on top
- In a mortar pound garlic and salt into a paste.
- Break egg yolk into small mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix on medium low for about a minute, until the yolk becomes pale.
- Add lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in garlic paste.
- Mixing constantly on medium low add oil a drop at a time until it starts to thicken and then in a slow and steady stream, until thick and creamy.
- Slice eggs in half and carefully scoop out yolk.
- In a small bowl mash egg yolk and stir in mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
- Spoon yolk back into eggs and sprinkle paprika over the top.
Saturday, October 11, 2014
Friday, October 10, 2014
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds or several star anise
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 12 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/4 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 Tablespoons light brown sugar or honey
- 7 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons Darjeeling tea
- 1 cup milk
- Place all ingredients except the tea and milk in a pot.
- Cover and boil over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the tea leaves, and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil.
- Strain the tea into teacups and serve hot.