I had a chicken in the refrigerator that I had to either use or freeze, so I decided to make a chicken broth out of it and then shred and freeze the meat.
I had to go with whatever was in the house to make the broth, since I had absolutely no desire to run to the store, so here's what I ended up with.
- 1 small chicken
- 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced in two
- 4 carrots roughly chopped
- 1 garlic bulb, the top cut off, but don't bother to peel.
- 3 or 4 black peppercorns
- 3 or 4 sprigs of oregano
- Place a cleaned chicken in a pot with the other ingredients and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower temperature to a simmer for several hours.
- Strain broth and shred the chicken.