As I noted in the previous post, eggs are a traditional Lunar New Year dish, due to their relationship with fertility. This recipe is traditionally made with black tea, but I've changed it up and used cinnamon tea. I've also added food coloring--just because I personally associate red with cinnamon!
- 12 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup black tea (I used 4 cinnamon tea bags)
- 4 star anise
- Red food coloring (optional)
- Roll the eggs on the counter to produce cracks, but do not peel.
- Cover the eggs with cold water and return to a boil.
- Add the tea, star anise, and food coloring if you are using it.
- Lower the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 2 hours