Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Southern Italy Meets Southern US

eggs

So, this weekend I combined Uova in Purgatorio (Eggs in Purgatory) with Southern Biscuits. I've found many recipes for the eggs--some with the eggs poached in marinara sauce and some with the eggs baked on top of a layer of bread or potato pancakes and smothered in marinara sauce. In my version, I poach the eggs in marinara sauce and then serve them on top of Southern style biscuits, as if the marinara sauce was a gravy.
Some versions had red pepper flakes, and some didn't. Being used to a lot of "South of the Border" cooking (having a mother-in-law from Texas who cooks awesome Tex Mex) this recipe reminds me too much of Juevos Rancheros, not to add the red pepper flakes to the marinara sauce and give it a little zing.

eggs2

Ingredients:

Directions:
  • Make marinara sauce.
  • Break the eggs carefully into the heated sauce.
  • Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your taste.
  • Break open the biscuits on a plate.
  • Gently place eggs on top of biscuits and spoon over the marinara sauce.
  • Grate cheese over the top.

5 comments:

  1. Oh MY! I will definitely need to give this a try! I've never made eggs with marinara before but love trying new Italian meals!! Thanks for sharing!

    -Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Thanks for dropping by Turnips 2 Tangerines:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds different and good. I think my hubby and I would like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melanie,
    What a great looking dish of food it really looks delicious. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit and hope you will come back again. Thanks for sharing!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete