So, this weekend I combined Uova in Purgatorio (Eggs in Purgatory) with Southern Biscuits. I've found many recipes for the eggs--some with the eggs poached in marinara sauce and some with the eggs baked on top of a layer of bread or potato pancakes and smothered in marinara sauce. In my version, I poach the eggs in marinara sauce and then serve them on top of Southern style biscuits, as if the marinara sauce was a gravy. Some versions had red pepper flakes, and some didn't. Being used to a lot of "South of the Border" cooking (having a mother-in-law from Texas who cooks awesome Tex Mex) this recipe reminds me too much of Juevos Rancheros, not to add the red pepper flakes to the marinara sauce and give it a little zing.
- Make marinara sauce.
- Break the eggs carefully into the heated sauce.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your taste.
- Break open the biscuits on a plate.
- Gently place eggs on top of biscuits and spoon over the marinara sauce.
- Grate cheese over the top.