Kitsune udon are Japanese udon noodles with seasoned tofu pouches which are generally used for inari--tofu pouches filled with sushi rice.
Seasoned Fried Tofu Pouches
- 2 or 3 fried tofu pouches (you can buy these at an Asian market that stock Japanese products)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dashi powder
- 1 TB sugar
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp mirin
- Blanch tofu pouches 2 minutes in boiling water to remove excess oil
- Press underwater several times with a fork.
- Drain; cool slightly.
- Squeeze out excess liquid.
- In a small saucepan, combine 3/4 cup water, dashi powder, sugar, soy sauce and mirin over medium high heat until simmering.
- Add tofu pouches; cook 3 to 10 minutes, turning them several times.
- Most of seasoning liquid with evaporate.
- Cool; squeeze dry if too moist.
- Cut open on 3 sides.
- Unfold tofu pouches and slice into 2 to 3 inch julienne strips.
- 7 cups primary or secondary bonito stock
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 TB mirin
- In a large saucepan, combine stock, salt, soy sauce, sugar and mirin.
- Heat until hot but not boiling; remove from heat.
- to serve pour 1 cup broth over noodles in each serving bowl.
- Makes 2 quarts.
- 4 seasoned fried tofu pouches
- 8 pieces of fish cake
- 1/2 recipe savory noodles broth (above)
- 3/4 lb dried white wheat noodles, or 4 small packages of fresh udon (we prefer these for their plumpness)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 bunch green onions thinly slice
- Other condiments of choice: nori cut in matchsticks and pickled beansprouts
Clockwise: nori cut in matchsticks, sliced green onion,
pickled beansprouts fish cake, and sliced inari pouches.
- Prepare seasoned friend tofu pouches.
- Slice fish cake into thin strips.
- Prepare savory noodle broth, and keep warm over low heat.
- If using dried noodles, in a large saucepan, bring 3 quarts water to a boil.
- Slip noodles into boilin water, stirring once or twice.
- When water returns to a rapid boil, cook noodles 10 to 12 minutes until tender.
- drain noodles, min in sesame oil.
- Divide noodles among 4 deep bowls.
- Add tofu pouches, and a few strips of fish cake.
- Pour about one cup of hot broth over each bowl of noodle mixture.
- Serve with condiments.
- If using fresh noodles warm them in the hot broth for a couple of minutes and then divide amongst serving bowls.