Small slices and chunks of vegetables in tempura batter.
- Your choice of vegetables thinly sliced or cut into small chunks. I used sweet potato, mushrooms, and okra.
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups of ice cold water
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Whisk together the egg yolk and the ice cold water.
- Add the flour and gently whisk, leaving lumps in the batter.
- Heat the oil. I always use the bread test, so heat it until a piece of bread turns brown and floats pretty quick (how scientific is that?)
- Add vegetables in batches, fry for a couple of minutes.
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees and put a jelly roll pan with a wire rack in the oven and add the batches as they cook, so they don't get cold and soggy.
Serve with Tempura sauce
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp dashi granules (instant fish stock, I get mine at an Asian market)
- 1/4 cup mirin
- Combine ingredients in a bowl, whisking the dashi into the wet ingredients.
- Serve at room temperature.