From Scratch -- The photos
- 4 slices thick bread (from scratch)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1-2 tsp whole grain brown mustard, horseradish sauce, etc.
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Butter the bottom of the bread and line in a baking dish.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir well.
- Add the mustard and black pepper and combine.
- Spread the egg and cheese mixture evenly on top of the bread slices.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes--the cheese should puff up. These are the best cheese sandwiches ever!
Place a layer of ham or other lunch meat on the bread before spreading the cheese mixture on top, to make a more substantial sandwich.