Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Experimenting with Cheese (My attempt to make Neufchatel)--Day 3

Well, I unwrapped it last night. It is very nicely formed and has the texture and density of cream cheese. It still tastes a little sour--like yogurt or sour cream, though. So I'm not quite sure if it has turned out! I went ahead and salted it and am letting it sit in the fridge for a day or two to see how it tastes then. If it is still sour, I'm probably going to make a cheesy stroganoff, or something like that, and see if I can get some use out of it that way.

Cheese

4 comments:

  1. how many pounds of cheese is that? If you put a bit of sugar in it maybe you can make a cheesecake out of it.
    mom
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking cheesecake as well. The English use neufchatel in their cheesecakes--although I've read some American reviews of the recipes and they weren't too positive! Maybe, if I'm expecting something different I won't be disappointed!

    I ended up with 2lbs total.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have use neufchatel in cheese cakes and didn't see a difference - i think it is lower in fat? but could be mistaken. I have also used a combination of two packages regular cream cheese and some of the lower fat
    mom
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like it is supposed to be lower in fat. I think because neufchatel is made with milk instead of cream.

    ReplyDelete