Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thursday Thinking Ahead--Feb. 26



I am a huge fan of Gourmet magazine. My husband's mother had bought a 2 year subscription several years back, but quickly realized that it wasn't the sort of cooking she did, so she'd read through the articles and pass it on to me. The subscription ran out a while back and I kind of forgot about it, but then Ric bought me a subscription for Christmas this year (me receiving it pictured above).

I got my second issue in the mail earlier this week and on page 94 found the sort of article that is written just for me. It's under the Cook Smart section and the article is called Birds in Hand. Two roast chickens=4 meals. I took this as a challenge and I have based my grocery list for the next 2 weeks around these recipes which Gourmet has provided online at their website and at their partner site Epicurious.com:

Roast Chicken with Pan Gravy

Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom Lasagne

Gyros with Cucumber Salsa and Tsatsiki

Leek and Pea Risotto with Grilled Calamari

These are the sort of large meals that should have plenty of leftover potential for lunches throughout the week. With a few small meals mixed in, I'll have my whole week planned out.

Plus, the good news is that I already have some of the ingredients on hand: white wine, thyme (this stuff seems to keep forever in the fridge), gruyere cheese, parmesan reggiano. And I'll make the lasagne noodles from scratch!

In upcoming posts there should be plenty of pictures of chicken being prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment