Another obvious choice to put the neufchatel to use would be some sort of pasta considering all the egg noodles on hand right now. I researched some recipes and came across this one: Top Secret Never Tell Neufchatel Alfredo. I did make a few changes to it, so I'll go ahead and lay it out as I proceeded:
- 3 TB olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 Tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 TB butter
- 1 TB flour
- 2/3 Neufchatel cheese Dr. Fankhauser‘s Neufchatel
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup parmesan reggiano
- 1/4 - 1/2 LB shrimp, deveined but with tails on.
- 1 LB cooked pasta From Scratch
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- On medium heat saute oil, garlic and crushed red pepper, until garlic is golden.
- Remove garlic.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in Neufchatel until thouroughly blended, simmer on medium heat.
- Meanwhile in a small saute pan on low heat, melt the butter.
- Mix in the flour until well blended.
- A TB at a time, add some liquid from the Neufchatel mixture, whisking constantly, until somewhat thick, but well blended.
- Pour the flour mixture into the Neufchatel mixture, blend well.
- Continue stirring and cooking on medium heat until well blended and thickented.
- Add the shrimp--I leave the tails on, it makes for messier eating but adds flavor.
- Once the shrimp are heated through, turn off the heat add the parmesan and the parsley and stir together.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir until thouroughly coated.