Monday, February 16, 2009

Experimenting with Cheese (my attempt to make Neufchatel)-- Day 1 & 2

Day 1

Yesterday, I innoculated the milk and the buttermilk and added the rennet. I'm using this web page Beginning Cheesemaking. Evidently Dr. Fankhauser is the cheese from scratch guy, because in my rennet box the list of recipes included his hard cheese recipe!

Day 2

The innoculated milk has been sitting overnight and this is what it looks like right now:


Cheese Making




I really thought that the milk was still completely liquid, until I looked closer and saw the separation(If you look closely in this photo you can also see the indention from my index finger where I tested the firmness this morning!):



When I scooped a bit up it had the consistency of yogurt. Since this is my first attempt at cheese making, I'm not really sure if that is set up enough, so just to make sure I'm going to wait until this evening to strain it through the cheese clothe.

3 comments:

  1. seeing as this is going to be cream cheese type of cheese what are you going to be using it for?
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about making pierogis. My recipe calls for farmer's cheese, which is pretty much the same thing. I'll also mix some with herbs and garlic for a spread with bagels or bread. And I'm thinking maybe a cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have to refresh my memory on pierogis - it sounds so familiar but I don't remember them.
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete