Pie Crust Pastry (makes enough for 2 pie shells, or one covered pie)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Sift flour with salt.
- Cut the shortening in with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle 4 TB ice water, one tablespoon at a time, over the flour mixture and blend it in with a fork.
- Wrap the dough in waxed paper and chill it for at least 15 minutes.
- Chilled dough will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- 5 slices bacon
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 TB flour
- Ground nutmeg
- Cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut bacon slices in half, fry until crisp, drain, cool and crumble.
- Line pie plate with unbaked pie shell.
- Overlap bacon crumbles and cheese slices to cover the bottom of the crust.
- Combine the eggs, cream, flour, a pinch of nutmeg, a few grains of cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Beat well.
- Strain and pour over bacon and cheese slices.
- Bake in hot oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.