This weekend I needed a side dish to go with my Roast Chicken with Pan Gravy, and came up with the following combo. The pan gravy called for only 2 tablespoons of the leftover fat from the roast chicken, so I saved the rest--way too much flavor to waste! I used a tablespoon of it in my sauce, but you could use butter.
I have a love affair with black pepper--if you don't, you might want to cut the pepper down. This has a bite!
- 6 oz dried egg noodles (From Scratch)
- 1 TB fat
- 1 TB flour
- 1 1/4 cup fennel broth (from scratch)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tsp fresh ground black pepper
- fresh chopped flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Cook noodles in 4 quarts water, drain and set aside.
- Heat fat, until melted, then turn to low heat.
- Mix in flour until blended into a roux.
- Slowly pour in broth, while vigourously whisking roux, until all ingredients are well blended.
- Cook, whisking often, on medium low heat until thickened.
- Whisk in sour cream until well blended.
- Heat for a few more minutes to allow it to thicken back up.
- Stir in pepper.
- Stir sauce into noodles until well coated.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.