It was a hard weekend at work so I never got around to taking pictures until we were at the end of the leftover stage--the side dishes all eaten, we moved on to meatloaf sandwiches on sourdough bread with mozarrella cheese and brown mustard.
- 2 TB vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 white or whole-wheat bread slices
- 2 LB lean ground beef
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne peppe
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 TB light brown sugar
- 1 TB cider vinegar
- 1 TB brown mustard
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook onion, garlic and celery in vegetable oil for about 10 minutes.
- In large bowl tear the bread slices into small pieces and add the onion and celery mixture.
- Add the ground beef, shredded carrot, salt, pepper, egg, and half the tomato sauce.
- Thouroughly mix.
- Use a bread pan to mold loaf.
- Dump out into a 12 x 8 baking dish.
- Combine brown sugar, cider vinegar, mustard and remaining tomato sauce.
- Spoon sauce over meat loaf after it has been cooking for 10 minutes.
- Bake in 350 oven for 1 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer read 155 degrees.