Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Leek and Pea Risotto with Grilled Calamari



Well, I made the last of the recipes from Gourmet's Birds in Hand article last weekend, Leek and Pea Risotto with Grilled Calamari. I have a confession--I left the peas out! I've just never developed a taste for peas.

If you live in the Little Rock area, Whole Foods on Rodney Parham usually has fresh squid. A tip on cooking squid: either cook it really quickly as in this recipe (grilled for one minute) or for a very long time (I have a pasta recipe in which I cook it for over an hour)--anywhere in between and it will be rubbery. My Foreman grill is on the outs, so I used my panini grill to cook these squid and it worked fabulously.

Isn't the squid beautiful?

Well, at the end of the roasted chicken experiment, I have to say that I'm pretty pleased over all. I'll be making the basic roasted chicken again, and the gyros and the risotto. I'm not so sure about the lasagna. It was all right, but for a white lasagna I'll be sticking to one of Marcella Hazan's recipes for a ham and mushroom lasagna with porcini mushrooms.

Either that or if I try the chicken one again, I might experiment with porcini mushrooms mixed in with the button mushrooms . . . . hmmmm . . . actually that might do the trick!

I'll probably roast two chickens again and come up with some of my own recipes, or use some old favorites. This was a good way of stretching the budget, since whole chickens are so cheap! In the summer time I've often used shredded chicken in both Mexican and Vietnamese recipes--so once the Farmer's Market is up and rolling again, I'm sure there will be more chicken recipes!

1 comment:

  1. sorry Mel this one looks horrible to me!!! LOL I couldn't even begin to try to eat that :)
    mom
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete