Sunday, March 15, 2009

Experimenting with Cheese--Greek Yogurt Cheese



This is the easiest cheese yet!!! No cooking involved at all. And if I make it again, with a decent amount of yogurt, I will post up some actual measurments. As it was this was a simple experiment, more than a recipe.

Simply line a colander with cheesecloth and spoon in plain Greek yogurt to drain for an hour or so. Then hang in the refrigerator as with the Neufchatel (Experimenting with Cheese--My Attempt to Make Neufchatel--Day Two). I had about half a cup left of the Greek yogurt from the Gyros with Cucumber Salsa and Tsatsiki. (It didn't make very much cheese--but it was very good, and I will be making it again.)

I left the yogurt to hang in the fridge for about 2 days. When I removed it from the cheesecloth, I added a little salt--just a pinch since it was such a small amount of cheese. I put it in a small container and poured olive oil about half way up the ball of cheese, and added a pinch of red pepper flakes, oregano, rosemary, and freshly ground pepper. I let it sit for a day to let the flavors combine, and then we spread it on toasted milk loaf.

Next time I make it, I will make garlic oil to coat the cheese--and I will use a container or two of yogurt to make a bigger batch.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful! My stepkids grew up in Greece so I make a lot of food using their grandmother's recipes. Not a lot of Greek food around Augusta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture! I would love to eat that. I admit to being slightly intimidated though. I will have to get over that and make it anyway!

    ReplyDelete