Monday, March 16, 2009

Sausage and Cabbage Hash revisited

hash

I originally made this hash back at the beginning of February. One of the great things about hash is it's versatility. I didn't have the same ingredients in the house as I did a month and a half ago, so I changed it up a bit.

Ingredients:
  • 2 TB Butter
  • 2 TB Olive Oil
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, fine dice
  • 1 Leek, white and pale green parts, sliced
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 4 or 5 canned tomatoes, broken up
  • 2 Mild Italian Sausages, approx. 3/4 LB, meat removed from the casings.
  • 1 1/2 LB Cabbage
  • 1 TB Balsamic Vinegar
  • Fresh Ground Black Pepper
On the stove:
  • Heat butter and olive oil over medium high heat.
  • When the butter has melted add garlic, leek, and onions.
  • Cook until the garlic turns golden.
  • Add sausage and brown.
  • Add tomatoes, and use a fork to break up into pieces.
  • Add cabbage, stir for several minutes.
  • Add balsamic vinegar and a liberal sprinkling of pepper.
  • Cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the hash doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
This time, I served it over long grain rice and it reminded me of the cabbage rolls my mom used to make when I was a kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment