Monday, March 30, 2009

Fry Bread



I found this great recipe for fry bread served with an onion omlet over at A Stove With a House Around It. Fry bread is so simple--sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and water! It doesn't sound very appetizing does it? Where's the milk? The eggs? Okay, at least some butter or please shortening? How can you make bread without some kind of fat?

You wouldn't believe how this stuff puffs up when it hits the oil. The inside is soft and yummy--impossible to believe it isn't a yeast bread!

This is a huge meal! I cut the fry bread recipe in half and could have cut the omlet in half--should have cut the omlet in half. But, I thought a one egg omlet would have been too small for each serving, but considering I had made some additions (go figure), by adding my left over refried beans and rice from La Palapa to the omlet--inspired by La Palapa's sister restaurant Casa Manana's Juevos Tirados (egg with refried beans)--the omlet ended up overflowing the fry bread and I still have leftovers in the fridge.

I also cut the onion down a lot. One whole onion would have to be cooked for 30 minutes to an hour and be really reduced and sweet to work for me in a 4 egg omlet. Since this onion was only supposed to be cooked for 3 minutes, (and I had a large onion) I only used a 1/4 of an onion. This is just reflective of my own personal taste; I like strong onions when contrasted with something like the mild sweetness of the fry bread, but in moderation.



* * *

Later that night I was begged for more fry bread. Someone thought that fry bread would be good served like a sopapilla with powdered sugar, cinammon, and honey!

He was so wrong--it was AMAZING.

frybread3

No comments:

Post a Comment