When I decide to start experimenting with making bread without my bread machine, do I start with something nice and uncomplex? No, of course not!
My husband and I love bagels, but around here we can rarely find the one's we like (studded with poppy seeds and caramelized onions). So I decided to try my hand at making them.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 oz package active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 4 TB butter
- 2 TB superfine sugar
- 1 egg, the yolk separated from the white, and the yolk beat with 1 tsp cold water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Poppy seeds
- 1 onion, caramelized
- Bring the milk to a boil in the microwave (I set mine on the beverage setting x 2).
- Add the butter and the sugar and whisk together until the sugar dissolves.
- Cool mixture until tepid (I put mine in the freezer for 5 minutes)
- Mix in the yeast, and leave for about 10 minutes, or until frothy.
- Beat the egg white and the salt into the yeast solution.
- Pour yeast mixture into a large bowl, and one cup at a time, combine the flour and the yeast mixture.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough for 15 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball and place into an oiled plastic bag.
- I only had quart sized bags, so I divided my dough into 4 balls.
- Leave it in a warm place for one hour, or until it has doubled in bulk.
- Set 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pan and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- When the dough is done rising, divide into 16 even pieces, and roll into balls.
- Flour your index fingers, and press both into the center of each ball and gently pull in opposite directions, forming a hole in the center.
- Drop each bagel into the boiling water (Mine fit 4 at a time) and poach for 15 seconds on each side--I didn't get any photos of this part, because my lens kept steaming up!
- Remove bagels onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Whisk the teaspoon of water into the reserved egg yolk, and using a pastry brush, coat each bagel.
- Sprinkle over poppy seeds.
- Sprinkle over caramelized onions (I used 2 TB of butter and 1 onion diced small, cooked quickly on medium high heat until golden brown).
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.