Thursday, April 23, 2009

BBQ Chicken and Fried Green Tomatoes

Photobucket

What else to do with the first green tomatoes from the farmer's market than fry them up? I used this recipe and served them with jalapeno vinegar.
I've also been yearning to start experimenting with my own bbq sauces. We haven't picked up a smoker yet, so I had to use my oven broiler. But, oh well, it was yummy anyway!

Photobucket

Ingredients:
  • Chicken for broiling (I use thigh meat)
For the bbq sauce (inspired by this one at bbq recipes for foodies):
  • 2 cups cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 TB red pepper flakes
  • 2 TB hot sauce
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 1 whole onion, grated
  • 2 TB catsup
Directions:
  • Whisk all the bbq sauce ingredients together in a saucepan early in the day.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Cover, and reduce heat to low.
  • Leave simmering all morning to thicken.
  • Your house will smell like vinegar!
  • Early afternoon marinade the chicken in the bbq sauce (you probably won't need all the bbq sauce--I had plent leftover for another time)
  • When you're ready to make the chicken, turn on the broiler.
  • Cook 8 minutes on each side, basting with bbq sauce you used to marinade every couple of minutes.
  • Your chicken will get blackened--yum.
Photobucket

Besides fried green tomatoes, I served mine with Southern biscuits and a very pared down version of Southern Style Navy Bean Soup( no ham bone, sausage, or turnip greens, just the other veggies and salt pork).

What I was listening to while I cooked: A 70s Texas mix that included folk/country singers such as Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt

No comments:

Post a Comment