I've said it once, and I'll say it again--I can't throw away anything that I think I can squeeze some flavor out of. I saved some orange peel earlier this week and candied it this morning. When it gets done cooling in a couple of hours, I'm going to chop it up in bake it in a Half a Pound Cake
- Peel from 2 oranges
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups water
- In a saucepan cover the orange peel in water and bring to a boil.
- Repeat blanching two more times.
- Put the orange peel to the side, and combine the sugar and water in the saucepan.
- Bring to a low simmer and continue heating for 10 minutes.
- Add the orange peel and continue cooking at a low simmer for 45 minutes or until the orange peel starts to become translucent (I think mine ended up cooking slightly over an hour).
- Coat the orange peel in sugar and place on a rack to cool for several hours.
- Add a cup of water to the orange syrup and bring to a low simmer.
- Put aside to cool to room temperature and then add to ice tea or mixed drinks.