Saturday, April 11, 2009

Natural Easter Egg Dyes

eggs4


I had fun last night coming up with egg dyes from scratch. I did this the year before last, and this time quickly remembered that I didn't have a lot of luck using spices last year (I tried paprika last night and ended up with a very weak cream).

My best results came from using beverages: coffee, green tea, and red table wine.


To dye an egg using coffee:

  • Brew a strong cup of coffee.
  • Add 2 tsp vinegar.
  • Cover egg and let sit for around 10 minutes--or longer, until the color pleases you.



To dye an egg using green tea:

  • Brew 1/2 cup tea in 1 1/4 cups water.
  • Strain liquid from tea.
  • Add 2 tsp vinegar.
  • Cover egg and lets sit for around 15 to 20 minutes--or longer, until the color pleases you.

greentea

To dye an egg using red wine:

  • Bring the wine to a boil in a sauce pan.
  • Add 2 tsp vinegar.
  • Cover the egg and let sit for 20 minutes--or longer, until the color pleases you.

redwine

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised from red wine you got a blue egg! those are nice. I haven't bothered to dye eggs in years - only if Utah & Ciera are here and that has been quite a few years now.
    mom
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete