I didn't have a premade pie shell, and I was in no mood to bake one for reasons I won't whine about here. But craving something sweet, I took a huge shortcut and got out some phyllo dough that was up in the freezer and made a square "pie."
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 TB butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- one 10-inch basic pie shell
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- In mixing bolw combine the sugar butter, and salt and beat until smooth.
- Add the eggs and mix until well blended.
- Add the milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Turn the mixture into the pie shell and bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake till the pie begins to set around the edges and the middles is still jiggly, 12 to 15 minutes longer.
- Let the pie cook, then chill slightly.